Lombard Office
Text Us Now

Schaumburg College Expenses Lawyer

Elk Grove Village divorce lawyer for non-minor support

Child Support Lawyer Helps Parents Address Educational Costs in Northwest Cook County

Parents always want the best for their children. Besides showering them with love and affection, parents will want to provide them with opportunities that will set them up for a successful adulthood. Unfortunately, when divorce enters the equation, the plans that parents have made for their children may need to be changed. The financial costs of divorce and changes in the lifestyles of the parents and their children may lead to concerns about whether or not children will be able to afford to go to college or pursue other forms of education.

At A. Traub & Associates, we help spouses and parents address the many concerns that they may encounter during the divorce process. Our lawyers will help you determine the best ways to address your family's needs as you proceed with your divorce. if you have concerns about how your child will pay for college or how you will address other financial needs, we can explain your rights, your obligations, and the options available to you under the law. We will help you find solutions that will meet your child's needs as they pursue an education while also protecting your financial interests.

Non-Minor Support in Illinois Divorce Cases

Child support that is ordered in a family law case is based on both parents' incomes, and it is used to cover the expenses associated with raising a child. Most often, this includes food, clothes, and shelter, although additional amounts of support may be ordered to cover costs related to health, education, childcare, and activities. These child support obligations will last until a child turns 18 or completes 12th grade, whichever comes later. However, if a child plans to attend college, a court may order a parent to provide financial assistance with the costs involved in a college education. This is known as "non-minor support."

When determining whether a parent should assist with college expenses, a court may look at both parents' income and assets, as well as other financial resources available to the child, such as college savings accounts, gifts from extended family members, and scholarships or other forms of financial aid. Parents may be required to contribute toward expenses such as:

  • Actual tuition costs, although the maximum amount of support a parent may be required to provide will be based on tuition for an in-state student at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
  • The costs of room and board, which will also be limited based on the costs of a standard room in a residence hall and a student meal plan at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
  • Medical and dental insurance coverage for the child, as well as other related expenses, such as prescription medications.
  • Other types of living expenses, including any costs incurred by a parent or extended family member if the child will be living in their home while receiving a college education.
  • Books, supplies, lab fees, or other miscellaneous education expenses.

Parents who are required to assist with college expenses may make payments to a school, set up a trust or an account in the child's name; or transfer money to the child directly. The requirement to provide non-minor support will usually terminate when the child graduates from college, although it may also end if the child gets married while attending college. Parents' obligations may also end if the child has not graduated by the time they are 23 years old, although this may be extended to the age of 25 in certain special circumstances. Finally, a child must maintain the equivalent of a "C" average on their grades in order to continue receiving support from their parents.

Contact a Schaumburg Divorce and College Expenses Lawyer

At A. Traub & Associates, we can help you to navigate your legal options and fight for your child's future success as you determine how you and your ex will address non-minor support. Contact our office at 630-426-0196 to schedule a confidential consultation with one of our experienced attorneys.

Illinois State Bar Association Northwest Suburban Bar Association DuPage County Criminal Defense Lawyers Association DuPage County Bar Association Illinois Association Criminal Defense Lawyers American Inns of Court DuPage Association of Woman Lawyers National Association of Woman Business Owners
Back to Top